Dear everyone,
Today has been a ‘so-so’ kind of day.
The experience with the nasal intubation to remove tummy fluids continued until this afternoon when it was decided that the line had become blocked. The solution to this was removal of the existing tube and its rapid replacement with a new line. All of this takes some time, as you can imagine, and constitutes great wear and tear on Steven’s physical tolerance and energy level. None of these invasive procedures are really painful, just awfully unpleasant, particularly when Steven has to endure a whole variety of them in quick succession. He really detests this nasal line as it is quite uncomfortable and really restricts movement. The really bad news is that it may need to remain in place for another 24-48 hours – this knowledge alone has really soured any improvement in his mood. We’ll easily forgive him for any ill temper – personally, I think I would have started throwing things at people by about the fourth bronchoscopy! Honestly, if this system reduces his nausea and stomach discomfort, and gives his GI tract time to recover, then it will be of some considerable benefit.
Be aware that Steven has had nothing to eat since Sunday and he has not had a drink of water since Monday night. He cannot have water as there is a danger it could enter his lungs, so they prefer to remain really cautious. He receives all of his fluids intravenously and he is allowed an Evian aerosol of water to keep his mouth hydrated.
Medication-wise, the steroid intake has been almost trebled to control the GVHD. It is most unfortunate that this is necessary as they create so many negative side effects. One of these effects is induced wakefulness. As a result, Steven has been quite lucid today and has not been asleep quite as much. Steven thinks this is a major injustice as he would have preferred to sleep through this whole nasal intubation experience!
That’s about it for the moment.
Love to all,
Evelyn, Matthew and Steven
Wednesday, 7 November 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
What can anyone say! Try and bear with the awful discomforts, Steven. Something is bound to help and the waiting will be worthwhile. Hope tomorrow is a better one for you. God bless and love
from
Auntie Mae and family xxx xxx
Dear Steven
I am sorry that the nose tube is hurting you. I often get nose bleeds I had them since I was very small because there is a nerve loose in the top of my nose. Mummy says that this can be fixed by putting somthing in my nose but I am to afrraid. So i think you are very brave. I hope that I can see Nora and Joanna soon. I miss them. Jessica.
Post a Comment