Tuesday, 25 September 2007

DAY 90

Dear everyone,


Today has been just so relaxing, it's been great. No galloping to and fro to the hospital!

I know that you'll all be delighted to hear that Steven is feeling really good at the moment. I see improvement even since yesterday. He is moving around very well and seems to have greater mobility now in his back. While in the hospital, he seemed quite stiffened with pain and every movement caused some discomfort, despite the variety of painkillers administered. Of course, he is still taking about three different anti-pain meds during the day, but they are not as strong as the ones used in the hospital. There is still discomfort but not to any degree that's debilitating.

I don't recall if I mentioned this previously, but corticosteroids really increase the appetite for food. Steven could literally eat all day long and has been lucky enough to never really have suffered nausea throughout this lengthy process. Consequently, another plus point in being at home is the constant availability of good food and tasty snacks. After weighing himself this morning, he discovered he was 76kg. This is the heaviest he's ever been in his life! Judging by his facial expression, we didn't know whether to congratulate or commiserate! (In all, a good thing, I feel.) It is also so much easier to balance the sugar/insulin intake at home – his glycemia always seems to go off the rails in hospital, possibly due to the scant nature and awful taste of hospital food.

At the moment, Steven is online on his laptop with music playing in the background – beautifully banal, thank goodness. The nurse has just been, done the drip (aka perfusion/ Christmas tree) and left. Matthew is cooking chicken Marbella for dinner, which is one of Steven's favourite dishes and there is a Liverpool football match online later on. Steven will be glued to that, for sure.

That's all for the moment.

Love as always,
Evelyn, Matthew and Steven

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news! I can just picture the tranquility of the scene and smell the chicken marbella. So good for you all to get a break after the last few weeks. Don't worry Steven about the weight - you're still not as heavy as me and anyway - always good to have some reserves for your rigorous exercise regime! Love to you all
Marian, Michael, Nora and Joanna xx

Aideen said...

Ah yes the chicken marbella - I can thankfully now picture you all at the apt again. I am just so delighted that you are back in situ Steve and the awfulness of your extreme back pain has lessened. To much better days and keep eating it all helps. With much love to you and of course the chef(s) de jour
Aideenxxx

Anonymous said...

There's No Place Like Home and Steven you are showing this to be a fact. It was wonderful to read tonights comments. Oh to be 76kg. I would be floating around the place...... Your Marbella sounds good, Matthew Men seem to be taking over the kitchens and I for one do not mind in the least. I prefer the washing up. Enjoy this new state of things. You all need to recover from the recent ordeal. God bless and love
from
Auntie Mae and family xxx xxx

ellen said...

Only 9 days left till the big test!!
xxx