Dear all,
The boy is home! Following discussions with the doctor on duty yesterday, it was announced this morning that he would be released from the pneumology unit at 1pm today. Matthew and I were totally relieved to hear this, as it had become crucial to Steven to get back to the apartment and a more normal daily life. Of course, it is not possible to be ever totally confident in this situation, as we have learned that the best laid plans can go awry at the last minute and hopes can be dashed so quickly, given Steven's current medical status. Seeing really was believing on this occasion, and, boy, was I both happy and relieved to see him standing outside the front door of the apartment. It's been a really long two weeks.
I had remained behind while Matthew went to fetch Steven in order to welcome the HAD team (hôpital à domicile) as it was not clear when they would arrive. We had already received a delivery of some of their equipment toward the end of last week – this consisted of a drip stand and paraphernalia, and an adjustable bedside table. In the end, it wasn't until after we had all had lunch that two nurses, Veronique and Christophe, arrived with further boxes of various meds and more gear. It looks like they mean business! They quickly attached Steven to his perfusion (a much nicer word than drip, I feel) of Foscavir, got him comfortable and then left. At the moment, Steven is sleeping. Christophe will return in one hour to remove the drip and check again on Steven. From today, this routine will unfold several times a day, until the treatment has been effective. I have never heard of a system like this before (maybe I'm just behind the times!) but I have to say, I am impressed. Steven will continue to attend the hospital de jour once weekly for his usual check up and bloodwork.
Although he is delighted to be home, Steven is very tired and becomes exhausted quite easily. We are hoping that this will improve now that he will gain so much more exercise just from moving around the apartment and going about his daily routine independently. He is anxious to have the physiotherapists return to help him regain some muscle tone. Hopefully we can get something organised this week, but it will need to be a gently, gently approach to regaining some fitness and energy this time around. We need to keep in mind that he is still very fragile in his post pneumonia condition.
If there was just some way we could be sure of warding off all future infections and viruses, then maybe we could achieve true peace of mind. However, that's not the reality of this situation. We'll just have to continue to roll with the punches and strive to deal with every new challenge that presents itself as I'm sure there will be many more ahead.
Love to all,
Evelyn, Matthew and Steven
Monday, 24 September 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Welcome home, Steven. I am so happy for you all. Tomorrow is another day and please God each day will bring a little more strength. You have been through so much lately so now it is possible to get positive again. Love to you and family
from Auntie Mae and all here xxx xxx xxx
Congratulations to all of you, and welcome home to Steve! It's great that you're back home. I pray for all bacteria and bugs to stay very far away from you. By the way, do you know how they call the drip stand and paraphernalia in Dutch hospitals? "The christmas tree"! And that's the unofficial name! Even doctors call it like this.
Lots of love from Bert and me,
Cristina
Post a Comment