White cells are now at 3,200 and haemoglobin hanging in there at 9.2!
A very, very hot, sleepy Sunday here in Paris. The temperature must have been above 30˚. This doesn't affect the interior of Trèfle 3 as it has a highly regulated air system, and so maintains a constant temperature of about 25˚. In fact, the ceiling all around the unit is quite low to house the highly specialised air conditioning system, which ensures the sterility of the air supply within each room. This gives a quite claustrophobic look particularly to the corridors: somebody of Feargal's height looks enormous in these surroundings. There is also always the incessant humming sound of the system. At its worst it feels like the place is vibrating – bit like being on a plane or a boat, I suppose.
Steven remains in very good form. However, he did develop pains in his legs overnight, particularly his knee joints, which didn't improve during the day. It is felt that perhaps his painkiller, acupan (which replaced the original high dosage of morphine), is not working so well as his system is now too accustomed to it. It was recommended that he increase his consumption of morphine to compensate. Not the best solution, I feel.
There is also now a minor difficulty with the efficiency of his kidneys. All scans and ultrasounds to date have shown that Steven's kidneys are disproportionate. As you may, or may not know, Steven's left kidney is much larger than the right and in fact does the work for both. This is a symptom of Fanconi anemia, but one which never caused any difficulty and of which, up until his diagnosis, we were unaware. He has been advised to drink lots of water and other liquids, which he is doing.
Both the leg and the kidney difficulty are felt to be side-effects of the cyclosporine (immunosuppressive) which is a very strong drug. They have now slightly lowered his intake of this medication. I am confident that both problems will be resolved soon. Eating continues apace – moussaka and dessert for lunch; roast chicken dinner, plus cheese and an orange for dinner. Steven's palms are now bright red and blotchy, which we will take as a very good sign of progressive engraftment.
We look forward to Feargal's return to Paris tomorrow evening. Matthew also returns to work (ie. teleworking) for half days from the apartment, as of tomorrow.
Love to all,
Evelyn, Matthew and Steven
Sunday, 15 July 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I hope eveybody's hanging in there. I'm sure Steven is cool as ever, and that's a great advantage to him at a time like this. I'm writing to say that I'm going to be visiting my girlfriend in Paris this weekend and I was wondering what the visiting regulations were for seeing Steve. I'll be there from Friday eveninig till Sunday evening. Thanks for letting me know if an eventual visit would be possible.
In the mean time, my thoughts are with all of you.
Take care,
Alex (Vlaanderen)
Post a Comment